Friday, November 21, 2008

unbelievable

Ben sent me a link to this article today:



As I read it, I was completely mortified by the whole ordeal. Maybe it's because I work in the mental health field. Maybe it's because I just assessed a patient who attempted suicide last night. Maybe it's because I have blood running through my veins and a heart beating in my chest. I am appalled that people would not only watch someone commit suicide but encourage him to do it. Call him names. Beat him down. Continue to reinforce the negativity that is plagueing him. I am disgusted.

Yes, he's responsible for his own actions. But he was obviously in need of help and I dont care what anyone says - we as HUMAN BEINGS should do whatever we can to help someone we know is in need of help. I dont care what your views on suicide are. I don't care how many times he attempted in the past. Someone should have tried to help. I guess I just don't get it.

The worst for me are the comments below this story where some people actually blame him for it all or are cold toward his actions. Mental Illness is just that, an illness. Expecting people suffering from a mental illness to handle life the way "we" do is like expecting a baby to take care of themselves without any help. They NEED help. It seems that the stigma the follows mental illness will never fade. And it just makes me really, really sad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If only SOMEONE could have told him, if SOMEONE could have made him see how beautiful and valuable he is to God.

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly." - John 10:10

It's tragic how satan gets so many people to buy into his lies.