Thursday, May 1, 2008

the grocery game

ok - so I don't' know if any of you have seen or heard about "The Grocery Game" but we had a bit on our news about it and I decided to check it out...let me tell you EVERYONE SHOULD PLAY THE GROCERY GAME!I went to Kroger this past Tuesday and my original total was $108.00 but after following Teri's list, clipping a few coupons and finding some other coupons online I only paid $35. Seriously - I was amazed. I got some really great stuff too:4 boxes of Honey Nut Cheerios (the name brand kind for $1.13 each), 5 Weight Watchers smart ones, 2 Air wick thingies (normally 10 bucks I got them for .99c), a roast, two packs of chicken, 2 things of toilet paper, 2 things of hand soap, waters, bran cereal, 2 packages of tea, 2 oscar meyer deli creations, a bertolli frozen pasta bag (normally $8 got it for $2) and a bunch of other stuff I can't really remember. The theory is to stock up on things when they are at rock bottom prices so that you have it in your cabinet when you need it and you aren't forced to buy it at full price when you run out. She also says that warehouse stores (walmart) aren't really the cheapest places to shop because they don't run sales like the grocery stores do and they don't do double coupons like kroger. The double coupons are great - for example tea was on sale for $1.50 each but I had a 60 cent coupon that was automatically doubled (kroger doubles all coupons up to 60 cents) so I paid 30 cents for the tea - you'd never find that kind of deal at Wal-mart! Plus, I hate shopping at Wal-mart...Anyway, if you go to the site (www.thegrocerygame.com) you can pay just $1 for a 4 week trial and then after that you have to pay $10 every 8 weeks (or 15 if you choose two stores)...which sounds like a lot but if you save $75 dollars a week and spend $1.25 a week on her list you are still saving $73.75...sounds like it's worth it to me.Also, you do have to start getting the Sunday paper because you need the coupons they have in there. So, if you buy it out of the stand that's 1.25 plus the 1.25 for her list - $2.50 for hundreds of savings potentially. I just started so I dont have the amount of coupons I will in a few weeks and some of the stuff on the list I just don't buy. If there was stuff I really wanted but didnt have the coupon, I just looked it up online and found most of them to print off. My two lists I used for the trial are Kroger and Walgreens. You'd be really surprised at how cheap stuff at Walgreens can be - I always thought it was an expensive store.Anyway, enough rambling on about it - I've been very impressed and I hope ya'll give it a try. Happy Shopping :)Oh and yes, this is Bethany - it's not a phishing ad, lol.

No comments: